Effective date: December 14, 2022
This Notice explains how the Home Furnishings Association (the “HFA”) collects and processes your Personal Data. Each time you use our Site, the current version of this Notice will apply. Accordingly, whenever you use our Site, you should check the date of this Notice (which appears at the top) and review any changes since the last version. This Notice is applicable to all Site visitors, registered users, and all other users of our Site.
“Personal Data” is any information that enables us to identify you, directly or indirectly, by reference to an identifier such as your name, identification number, location data, online identifier or one or more factors specific to your physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity.
By visiting www.myhfa.org or related properties, (together the “Site”), you acknowledge that you have read and understood the processes and policies referred to in this Notice.
How we collect personal data
Personal Data that you give us
We may collect and process the following Personal Data that you provide to us:
- Contact information, which you provide when corresponding with us by phone, email or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you participate in social media functions on our Site and when you report a problem with our Site. The information you give us may include your name, address, email address, phone number, financial information and/or credit card information.
- Membership information, which you provide when joining, renewing, or updating your membership profile including your name, address, phone numbers, email addresses, age, job title, and other personal information. Membership information may be provided by you or by your employer on your behalf.
- Dues payment information, including financial information such as credit/debit card and account numbers used to join or renew your membership.
- Registration and purchase information, relating to registration or purchase of event access, or purchasing digital or physical assets or subscriptions on the Site or in-person. Purchase information will include financial information as well as information concerning the content and time of the purchase.
Personal Data we collect from you
We may collect and process the following Personal Data by observing your visit to the Site:
- Technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer or device to the Internet, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
- Information about your visit, including pages you viewed or searched for, page response times, downloads, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), methods used to browse away from the page, and any phone number used to call our customer service number; and
- Location information as determined by your I.P. address, GPS location, or other technical data
Personal Data we collect from others
We may receive information about you from third-party databases or services that provide information about people.
We collect information that is sent to us automatically by your web browser, including, without limitation:
- IP addresses
- Browser type and plug-in details
- Device type (e.g., desktop, laptop, tablet, phone, etc.)
- Operating system
- Local time zone
We may use non-Personal Data for various business purposes such as providing customer service, fraud prevention, market research, and improving our Site. Check your web browser to learn what information your browser sends or how to change your settings.
How we use your Personal Data
We may process your Personal Data, including sharing it with third parties, primarily to deliver digital services through the Site, for the performance of a contract to which you are a party, when required by law, to protect your vital interests or those of another person, or when necessary for the purposes of our legitimate commercial interests. From time to time we may share your Personal Data with trusted HFA sponsors or partners.
California Do Not Track Disclosure: Our site does not respond to Do Not Track (DNT) signals in your browser and does not treat visitors whose browsers send a DNT signal differently from those that do not send a DNT signal.
Personal Data that you give us
We use Personal Data that you provide to us primarily for the following purposes:
- Membership: to carry out our obligations arising from your membership, or any other contract entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and membership services that you request from us;
- Events: to organize events that you have purchased or registered for, and to provide you with information, and other materials, relating to the content of the event, the speakers, sponsors and other attendees;
- Subscriptions: to provide our newsletters and other publications, provided you have given your consent;
- Customer Service: to respond to your questions and provide related membership services;
- Promotions: to provide you with information about other events, products and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased, provided you have not opted-out of receiving that information;
- Research: to contact you to solicit observations, opinions, and other input related to the home furnishings industry,
- Partners: to provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about events, products or services we feel may interest you, provided you have given your consent;
- Content: to ensure that content from our Site is presented most effectively for you and your computer; and
- Transactions: to notify you about changes to your membership or other registrations or transactions.
Information we collect about you
We use Personal Data that we collected by observing your visit to the Site primarily for the following purposes:
- Site Administration: to administer our Site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes; and
- Site Improvement: to improve our Site to ensure that content is presented most effectively for you and your computer.
Personal Data we receive from other sources
We combine third-party information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We primarily use this information and the combined Personal Data for the purposes set out above.
When we share and who can access your Personal Data
We may share your Personal Data for the purposes described in this Notice with:
- Employees and Leadership: staff and volunteer leaders of our organization,
- Partners: partners, suppliers and sub-contractors, for the performance of obligations arising from your membership, or any other contract we enter into with them or you or to provide you with the information, products and membership services that you request from us
- Analysis: analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimization of our Site
- Services: trusted third-party companies and individuals to help us provide, analyze, and improve the Site and our membership services (including but not limited to data storage, maintenance services, database management, web analytics and payment processing)
We will only transfer your Personal Data to trusted third-parties who provide sufficient guarantees in respect of the technical and organizational security measures governing the processing to be carried out and who can demonstrate a commitment to compliance with those measures.
Selling your Personal Data
We will never sell your Personal Data to third parties without your opt-in consent.
Although we use security measures to help protect your Personal Data against loss, misuse or unauthorized disclosure, we cannot guarantee the security of information transmitted to us over the internet. All information you provide to us is stored on secure servers. Any payment transaction is encrypted using SSL technology. The Site is also secured by the content delivery network (CDN) Sucuri. Sucuri protects against a range of threats: cross site scripting, SQL injection, comment spam, excessive bot crawling, email harvesters, and more.
Transfer of Personal Data outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”) and International Users
We are headquartered in the United States. Your Personal Data may be accessed by us or transferred to us in the United States or to our affiliates, partners, merchants, or service providers who are located worldwide. If you are visiting our Site from outside the United States, be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States where our servers are located, and our central database is operated. By using our Service, you consent to any transfer of this information.
How Long we Store your Personal Data
We maintain one or more solutions to store your Personal Data and may keep such information indefinitely. We may retain and use your Personal Data as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements and rights, or if it is not technically reasonably feasible to remove it.
We will try to delete your Personal Data quickly upon request. If you wish to cancel your account or request that we no longer use your information to provide you service, contact us using the methods published in the Contact Us section on our Site.
Where we store your personal data
The Personal Data that you provide to us is generally stored on servers located in the United States. If you are located in another jurisdiction, you should be aware that once your Personal Data is submitted through our Site, it will be transferred to our servers in the United States and that the United States currently does not have uniform data protection laws in place.
Cookies and Do Not Track Policy
The Site uses “cookies”. A cookie is a text file that is placed on your local computer by a Web page server. Cookies cannot be used to run programs or deliver viruses to your computer. These cookies are uniquely assigned to you, and can only be read by a web server in the domain that issued the cookie to you. These cookies do not contain any personal data and will not identify you personally. If you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to fully experience the interactive features of the Site.
Our Sites are not directed to children under the age of 13, if you are not 13 years or older, do not use our Site. We do not knowingly collect Personal Data from children under the age of 13. If you are a parent or guardian and discover that your child or a minor under the age of 13 has posted, submitted or otherwise communicated Personal Data to our Site without your consent, please contact us using the methods published in the Contact Us section on our Site so that we may take appropriate action to remove the minor’s Personal Data from our systems.
Links to Third Party Sites and Services
Our Sites may contain links to third party websites, applications and services not operated by us. These links are provided as a service and do not imply any endorsement by us of the activities or content of these sites, applications or services nor any association with their operators. HFA is not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of any third party including websites or services directly linked to our Service. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of any third party site that you link from our Service.
Correction and removal
If any of the information that we have about you is incorrect, or you wish to have information (including Personal Data) removed from our records, you may do so by contacting us using the methods published in the Contact Us section on our Site.
Additionally, if you prefer not to receive email marketing messages from us, please let us know by clicking on the unsubscribe link or manage preference link at the bottom of any promotional email message that you receive, by visiting your HFA communications preferences page, or by contacting us using the methods published in the Contact Us section on our Site.
Your European Rights
FOR EUROPEAN RESIDENTS ONLY. You can ask us not to process your Personal Data for marketing purposes by contacting us using the methods published in the Contact Us section on our Site.
Changes to this Notice
If we make any material changes to this Notice or the way we use, share or collect personal Data, we will notify you by revising the “Effective Date” at the top of this Notice when the new policy takes effect. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to this Notice.