Just a quick checklist for anyone who utilizes a forklift or lift. Startups and end of the day shut downs play a key roll in injury prevention.
STARTUP – YOU MUST:
- Check for obvious physical damage and fluid leaks on the floor.
- Make sure the overhead guard, load backrest extension, seat belt and all other safety devices are attached properly.
- Inspect tires. Make sure the forks are properly attached and locking clips are in the proper position.
- Check the capacity plate.
- Check the parking brake and service brake and all controls and gauges.
- Make sure hood latches are adjusted and fastened.
- Check fluid levels.
- Listen for unusual noises.
- A maintenance department tag means: Do not operate the forklift. Do not try to repair the forklift yourself. Leave the tag on the forklift and see your supervisor.
SHUT DOWN PROCEDURES – YOU MUST:
- Return your forklift to the proper area.
- Put the directional lever in neutral.
- Set the parking brake.
- Completely lower the forks.
- Put the mast in full vertical position.
- Turn off the forklift.
- Take the key and return it to its proper place.
Your forklift is your responsibility until it is returned to its place at the end of your shift.