Retailers discuss delivering furniture and reassurance to customers

Image of Delivery people setting up furniture

Walk into most bars and restaurants and the maskless patrons and workers make it appear our pandemic worries are over. Three furniture retailer delivery experts advised an HFA live Covid-19 Webinar audience last week not to believe that.

Carl Nyberg, COO of Home Furnishings Association member HOM Furniture in Minnesota, said the biggest issue with furniture delivery these days is resisting the urge to resume normal operations. “They’re still not normal and we have to keep all the safety procedures in place, social distancing,” said Nyberg. “You’re not just here trying to do business. We’re concerned about (our employees) and we’re concerned about customers and that we’ve got, you know, a good operating plan in mind.”

Nyberg was joined on the webinar by Charlie Workmon, president of Riverstone Logistics and executive vice president of Broad River Retail; and Riaz Husein of Profit Chain Consulting. The webinar was hosted by HFA Executive Vice President Mark Schumacher as part of the association’s ongoing Covid-19 webinar series for furniture retailers navigating the new economy.

HOM delivers furniture in five Midwestern states, which means five different methods of home delivery. Nyberg estimates that about 80 percent of the company’s home deliveries are delivered to the room of choice. The remaining 20 percent are labeled garage drop-offs.

HOM has redesigned its delivery software so that there are no touch forms for customers who opt for the drop-off service. “They don’t have to find or touch the forms anymore,” Nyberg said. “We email them receipts.”

It’s not just customers who need to be factored into delivery needs, said Workmon, of Broad River, the nation’s largest independently owned and operated Ashley HomeStore licensee. Your employees need to be taken into consideration, too. “By virtue of being in a cab together, (drivers) are not social distancing, so it really starts with entry into the building and understanding who’s getting into the cab of the truck and representing your brand,” he said.

Monitoring stations

That starts with temperature checks for employees and contractors who are representing your brand. “So it starts there with an understanding,” Workmon said, “if there is a symptom or symptoms, are there systems in place on your dock in addressing those and preventing this from continuing through the supply chain?”

Workmon said warehouse and delivery employees are encouraged to wash their hands regularly before and after deliveries. Disinfecting wipes are in the cab of every delivery truck, and delivery staff are encouraged to wipe down themselves and the cab after every delivery.

He said all delivery employees must wear masks in a customer’s home. He said his staff is reminded every day to keep their distance from customers in their homes so that customers don’t feel so uncomfortable they must ask for that distance themselves. “That obviously is a tricky practice and something that we talk about every morning, when we address our teams before letting them go out and make deliveries,” Workman said.

To hear the entire webinar, as well as other archived webinars designed to help furniture retailers in the new economy, go to HFA’s COVID-19 Recovery Resources page.

[E-commerce is here to stay, HFA members tell fellow retailers]

Robert Bell

Robert is the Content Editor for the Home Furnishings Association. For any news about your store, including expansion, personnel, successful initiatives—anything of interest to HFA members, contact us.

See more:

Related Posts

Looking to grow your business? Look no further.
Becoming a member of the HFA has more benefits than we can list here. Click the button to learn more.
Trending In

HFA Solution Partners

PartnerShip Logo

Alert: Existing PartnerShip users must re-enroll in the FedEx program to receive updated discounts. Updated

Fidelitone Logo

Established in 1929, FIDELITONE is a supply chain services provider. One of FIDELITONE’s core service

Gulfstream Shippers Association Logo

Gulfstream Shippers Association is an association that combines the buying power of its members to

Profit Chain

Furniture Retailers have worked hard to build their businesses and they ought to be able

Fidelitone Logo

Established in 1929, FIDELITONE is a supply chain services provider. One of FIDELITONE’s core service

Sign up for more!
From HFA events to the latest member news, get updates straight to your inbox.
Stay Informed and Up To Date
Subscribe now to elevate your store's success with expert tips and the latest trends delivered straight to your inbox.

Not an HFA member?

Don't miss out on all of our association benefits!